Padman Africa – Let’s talk female sanitary
Padman Africa is a social venture dedicated to these three main objectives:
- Keeping girls in school,
- Inform them about their sexual health, and
- Economically independent.
Padman Africa has developed initiatives to assist girls in successfully completing their education. These programs include:
- Supplying sanitary pads to girls who are menstruating;
- We are working on constructing private ‘girls only’ latrines;
- Providing accurate health information, getting the men to increase their purchasing power on menstrual supplies and mentorship through a female health worker.
Padman Africa helps school girls from low income maintain menstrual hygiene at a low cost with biodegradable pads and panties from our Padman Africa Period Purse.
In Africa, especially in rural/semi urban areas, most girls entering secondary school never complete their education, one of the reasons is lack of access to affordable sanitary pads. Most families living on less than $1 a day cannot afford to buy sanitary pads for their girls as they are too expensive. Most girls resort to use unhygienic materials i.e. notebook papers, rags, e.t.c, thus most girls prefer to stay at home during their menstrual period which cause them to miss 4-5 classes a month.